Feeling like you just don’t know where to go? And the day is just getting started?
Let me guess. You feel like your inner GPS isn’t working ― and hasn’t worked for days. You feel like a steamroller has flattened you flatter than a French crepe. You feel like you’re in the middle of an abstract painting with your least favorite colors.
Is it one of those days when the clock is out of control and the balance has shifted from delicate to barely hanging on?
That’s okay. I know where you can go for help. And it’s not the payday loan store on the corner. Or the purveyor of addictions down the street. Or the handy hypnotism of that screen across the room. Or the pretend panacea of the endless scrolling on that device in your hand.
Feel helpless? Need help? Me, too. Here’s where I’m going. Join me!
1. Psalm 121. I can’t read it enough. I can’t read it too much. I keep finding something new that God is saying to me. At just the right time. Read it again with me. Read it aloud. Ready, set, go!
I look up to the mountains — does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! He will not let you stumble; the one who watches over you will not slumber. Indeed, he who watches over Israel never slumbers or sleeps. The Lord himself watches over you! The Lord stands beside you as your protective shade. The sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon at night. The Lord keeps you from all harm and watches over your life. The Lord keeps watch over you as you come and go, both now and forever.
2. Romans 8. This is the chapter that continually builds my faith. I let Paul tell me as many times as he wants to that my faith is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness! Read it again with me. Read it aloud. Click here right now.
3. Psalm 23. Okay, this widow’s journey gets scary sometimes. Frantic sometimes. Uncharted sometimes. It’s awkward and challenging and unwanted sometimes. But it’s the journey I’m on. This psalm is my reminder that I’m not alone. Ever. For all eternity. Read it again with me. Read it aloud. Click here right now.
4. Ephesians 1. Want to ride the waves of God’s grace? Want to go under and come up and surf and swim and never touch the bottom? This is the chapter for you. Read it again with me. Read it aloud. Click here right now.
5. Job 38. Need a reminder of who God is and how great God is? Here it is. God is talking to Job and his friends, but we can eavesdrop on all the truth crammed into this one chapter. Read it again with me. Read it aloud. Click here right now.
There’s so much more help from God, available to us in his Word! In fact, God's help is endless and eternal. We have no excuse for feeling helpless because the Creator of the universe is our helper! Praise his holy name!
As Paul says: “When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong” (Ephesians 3:14-17).
Laura Warfel is a widow, writer, and follower of Jesus Christ. Her greatest joy is to bring others along with her on her faith journey. In 2015, because of the encouragement of the Launch Out Conference and Jon Acuff, she launched More Than A Widow on Facebook and Twitter. Today she blogs, tweets, and posts to help widows (and those who know them) find encouragement, hope, and resources for the journey. Her goal is to help all widows live beyond the label and live as more than a widow.
Copyright © 2017 by Laura Warfel